Wind Energy – Floating Wind USA
The U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) recently announced new investments to secure U.S. leadership in floating offshore wind development by advancing offshore wind transmission planning, research and technology, and partnerships.
These announcements are part of the Biden-Harris Administration’s Floating Offshore Wind Shot Summit, with the Departments of Energy, the Interior, Commerce, and Transportation convening stakeholders to drive progress.
The efforts include:
· A new West Coast transmission study that will help inform regional floating offshore wind transmission planning and development through 2050;
· A West Coast transmission gaps analysis and literature review;
· Initiation of a new offshore wind operations and maintenance roadmap;
· Expansion of the National Offshore Wind R&D Consortium to include California, allowing for a greater focus on floating offshore wind;
· Deployment of DOE’s lidar buoy off Hawaii, in partnership with BOEM.