Wind energy – grid connections
The Dutch government published the new offshore wind area’s and initiates the spatial planning procedures for +12GW additional offshore wind to be realized in 2030 or slightly later.
The final decision to increase the offshore wind targets is part of the ongoing negotiations of the new government.
The announced projects are:
– Project IJmuiden Ver Gamma connecting to Maasvlakte (already started)
– Project 4, Area 1 (or 2) connecting to Maasvlakte
– Project 5, Area 1 (or 2) connecting to Borssele
– Project 6, Area 1 (or 2) connecting to Geertruidenberg
– Project 7, Area 5 connecting to Eemshaven
– Project 8, Area 5 connecting to Eemshaven
This together with the existing projects of IJmuiden Ver Alpha (Borssele) and IJmuiden Ver Beta (Maasvlakte) would results in eight 2GW HVDC Grid Connections.
The letter states these projects are expected to be operational in 2031. However it also mentions delays or showstoppers are possible in the spatial planning procedures.
The cable routes to Geertruidenberg and the crossing of the Wadden Sea are complex.
In addition the government assigned TenneT to start preparation for the Offshore Grid Connections.